Friday, August 9, 2019

Big Creek Handmade Fest to Premier!

Meet Hallie Scheufler from Scheufler Fine Art Jewelry... 
I am a jeweler with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Kent State. I am also working on a Graduate Gemologist degree from the Gemological Institute of America. I used to wire wrap before I went to KSU and learned art jewelry techniques. From there, I studied on my own, with jewelers, and as a jeweler to advance my skill to fine jewelry fabrication and repair. I enjoy repairs and custom the most. There is nothing quite like creating a one of a kind piece for someone or fixing an heirloom for future generations. I prefer to work in gold but will branch out to silver and platinum often. I have had a career as a repair jeweler for 2 years, but have played around with jewelry since middle school.
This will be my first Avant-Garde Art and Craft Show! I was the President of the Jewelry Student Co-Op at KSU where we did sales, but this is my first solo sale since graduation last year. What really inspires me is the customer. What I love most about creating is to be able to explain how something was made or repaired to the customer so they can see the jewelry as intensely as I can. It creates a stronger connection to the object knowing the time and work put into even the smallest details. I am also inspired by the techniques. Half of my work is made just so I can try out a new tool or technique!
I’ve been crafty since I was a kid. My mom still has horrible beaded necklaces I would make her from kits I got as presents. I would sew, crochet, knit, embroider, paint, anything. I decided to pursue jewelry as a career when I realized it was something I felt I could do without feeling bored in the long run, unlike other careers I was interested in.

When I was in 6th grade, I took the mandatory art class and got a B+. After that, I swore off art out of anger. A few years later in 10th grade, I had to take art for my elective and realized I was actually good at it. My friends and teachers persuaded me to continue through the classes. My leap into jewelry was based solely off interest and I just hoped the skill was there!

My creative process generally starts out with an idea of a color or a gemstone. I imagine what form of jewelry it should be in, how it should be oriented, what other stones would look good with it, and what type metal would best suit my idea and price range. From there, I begin the fabrication process. The final piece may or may not even look like my original idea! In 5 years though I would love to be more proactive with my custom and repair services.
I would say the message behind my work is quality and honesty. I want everything to be a lasting object and memory. Additionally, I know that trust can be difficult to give in the jewelry field. I know I am only as good as my word.

Meet Nicole Dorin of Domestic Goddess Style...
I'm Nicole Dorin and I am a fun loving friendly mom of 4, always up for a new adventure. I love to craft and make many different things. I absolutely love to make customers ideas come to life. I have been making crafts like these since I was a mom of two, so six years now. I never want to stop doing what I love to do because it is so relaxing and the items come out amazing!
This will be my first Avant-garde Art and Craft Show but I am still super excited to be there because I love showing people what I can do and seeing them have a smile on their face! I would say that life situations and my family are what fuels my inspiration everyday.
I was born with the crafting spirit so I have been doing this forever it seems like. I actually discovered my talent by not wanting to buy something in the store, so I made it instead and it turned out great so I made it into a business! Excitement and determination to get it done describes my creative process in a nutshell. 

In five years I hope to see more of my art displayed in people's homes and featured by their faces. The big message I want people to see from my work is that everyone should be free to express themselves in any way you want. Just have fun with it and go with the flow. 



2019 Big Creek Handmade Fest Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, August 10th, 2019 - 12:00pm-5:00pm
Greenbrier Commons
6200 Pearl Rd.
Parma Heights, OH 44130
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN


No comments:

Post a Comment

Big Creek Handmade Fest to Premier!

Meet  Hallie Scheufler from Scheufler Fine Art Jewelry...  I am a jeweler with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Kent State. I am also working o...